Therapeutic Gemstone Properties:
Different gemstones have different therapeutic properties depending on their size, shape, exact composition, the
skill of the weilder, etc. Natural stones are best and avoid wrapping the stone in metal (such as a silver
I only use the highest quality stones. High quality stones are undyed (if possible), have no chips/fractures,
and are not irradiated (to enhance color). I recommend using rounded stones for gemstone therapy.Lorraine
Some questions people have asked are as follows:
Do I need to wear these stones all together to get the best effect?
No. Generally the stones
hould be worn separately unless aligned to exactly the same purpose.
How many can you wear at a time?
Up to 3 at any one time is the general rule -- but you need to
make sure the stones do not conflict with each other.
The therapeutic properties of the gemstones listed here are for rounded, highest quality gemstones. Non-rounded
stones may have different effects. All of the links below will take you to a merchant for the gemstones, or you can
look at our ebay store.
- Amazonite: Improves self worth. I find that I have more confidence when I wear this
- Amber: Lift heaviness. Amber is great at lifting the heaviness of burdens -- allowing
happiness to come through.
- Amethyst: Spiritual Upliftment. This is also the present carrier of the purple color
ray. I wear a short necklace of this when I need to communicate effectively. I place this on my
stomach/liver when I have stomach problems.
- Apatite: Communication. I wear this stone
when there has been a misunderstanding. It is also helpful for fighting viruses.
- Aquamarine: Remind one of the ocean of love and mercy. It can help one understand
difficult situations from a love-filled viewpoint. I either wear an aquamarine stone or gaze into an
aquamarine crystal. I recommend aquamarine or rose quartz for those who are experiencing a lot of grief.
- Aventurine: Circulation. I get very happy when I wear this stone. I also use this to
help clear my congestion.
- Green Aventurine: Physical healing. I either place this around my neck or on the area
where healing is needed. This is the stone I would choose for overall healing support. For major illnesses,
I would use emerald and/or frosted quartz as well. Transparent Aventurine is extremely powerful - however,
it needs washing daily (dry flat). Immature transparent aventurine will fade.
- Cape Amethyst: Inner alignment. This seems to
balance the inner bodies (emotional, spiritual, etc.) as well as provide more energy. I use a very small
sphere (4-6mm) on acupressure points for 1-5 minutes to clear energy blockages. For larger spheres (8mm),
use less than a minute. Also good for arthritis - wrap strands of cape amethyst around aching joint.
- Carnelian: Balance creativity and mental processes. When my husband was wheezing from
allergies, I placed this on him. He stopped wheezing within 30 seconds. When I removed it, he started
wheezing again. This worked best with natural carnelian (bright orange). However, clear man-made carnelian
worked on him as well. Wash carnelian under water after wearing it. Carnelian is the carrier of the orange
- Chrysoprase: Spiritual protection. Thi stone allows me to work through issues without
outside influences. Great when starting in management or working with large groups of people.
- Citrine: Upliftment. I wear this to help align my spine. I either place a strand along
my spine or wear it around my neck. Citrine encourages the yellow ray to support the body. This stone also
helps one process energy work.
- Coral: Emotional Foundation. Coral protects
and strengthens one's emotional foundation.
- Diamond: Increase personal clarity. I find this aligns me with my higher purpose
as well as offers many healing properties. I have had profound results with diamond therapy. (Some diamond
therapists are listed under gemstone therapists.)
- Emerald: Physical and emotional healing. This is the strongest physical healing gemstone
that I know. I use it by placing it on the area which needs healing or wearing it around my neck. Emerald is
the carrier of the green ray.
- Green Fluorite: Hormone Balance. This stone has been helpful with hormonal changes such
as PMS and menopause.
- Purple Rainbow Fluorite: Change. Helps one get out of ruts.
- Jade: Relaxation. Jade works wonders for my husband when placed on a sore shoulder or
back. I have used it to reduce tension in my life. I find that I am calmer when I wear jade.
- Kunzite: Emotional Support. I use this stone
to help my mind and my emotions be in sync.
- Lapis: Understand the mind. Expanding your viewpoint. It is good for connecting the
heart and the mind when worn over the heart.
- Leopardskin Jasper: Bring what one needs. Note that it
doesn't necessarily bring in what you want. However, it is a wonderfully supporting stone.
- Mahogany Obsidian: Decision making. It has been helpful
in healing my gums as well.
- Malachite: Bring harmony into one's life. I have done many meditations with malachite to
gather knowledge on gemstones and on myself.
- Moldavite: Grounding stone. Really puts one in their body. This is extremely strong --
you may wish to try black onyx for grounding first. It is rumored that it helps you talk to other sentient
beings (humans and whales and dolphins). I haven't tried this.
- Grey Moonstone: Helps one accept other stone's
powers by cleansing blocks. This can be hard to wear.
- Orange Moonstone: Helps one accept other stone's help by comforting you. This is less powerful than white -
but helpful when one really needs a certain stone.
- White Moonstone: Helps one accept other stone's help
through highlighting the others effects. I like this moonstone the most. When worn by itself is balances
- Moss Agate: Get in touch with nature. Plant
- Mother of Pearl: Protection; Know mother's love. This
stone is a great protective stone.
- Black Obsidian: Grounding stone. I gaze into it for
a very short time (1-5 minutes) each day for 3 days when I need insight into a problem. I use black
obsidian when I have been unable to understand what aquamarine has been trying to show me. This is a very
strong stone. I use it sparingly.
- Black Onyx: Helps one to change bad habits. This
is great when used in a necklace. I have found it helps people notice their chakras when placed on each chakra. (This can be done one
chakra at a time.) It is a great grounding stone.
- Mexican Onyx: Helps one sleep better. For more details, see my Sleeping Better therapies.
- Black Opal: See self as Soul. I find this stone
is great for helping one see the possibilities of how one can be all they can be. This stone seems to
strengthen bones too.
- Opal: See possibilities; discover a
broader view. I use opal to see all the possibilities in a situation. I find it very freeing when I feel
blocked in a situation. Some people find this stone very hard to wear. I find it wonderful. A little opal
can go a long way.
- Fresh Water Pearl: Enable one to accept love. See the good parts of oneself so you can
love yourself and others more.
- Peridot: Brings the energies from in the aura
to the physical body. This is useful after energy work -- however, one needs to be certain that they are
bringing in the new energy -- not the stuff they are trying to purge. Use with caution. If you muscle test
(or use a pendulum), test for it.
- Poppy Jasper: Gain a positive outlook. I find that
I am very happy when I wear this stone.
- Frosted Quartz: Balance. I often place this over the
chakras or wear it around my neck. It is wonderfully
- Rose Quartz: Emotional balance. Very good for expressing and soothing emotions. Try to
find undyed rose quartz. I find that gold doesn't mix with rose quartz.
- Rhodonite: Emotional support. Helps one take
the next step emotionally.
- Rhodocrisite: Change. Gives one confidence while making desired changes. Very supportive.
One can make large changes very quickly with this stone.
- Ruby: Love; Open the heart. It allows me to overcome fear. Carrier of the red ray.
- Sapphire: Mental clarity. Clear mental garbage. Carrier of the blue ray.
- Sodalite: Protects from external negative
energy. I use it by computers to help reduce the damage from EMF.
- Sunstone: Enhances contemplations. I find my
meditations are clearer when I wear this stone. Also, I remember my dreams more. I use it for a few days
in a row when I find I have not been remembering my dreams.
- Sugilite: Absorbs garbage from wearer's aura.
I feel lighter when I wear this stone. It uplifts me and gives me more energy.
- Tanzanite: Changes. Uplifts and opens the heart.
- Green Tourmaline: Promote male balance and physical
healing. I do not recommend this for females (use emerald or aventurine).
- Pink Tourmaline: Promote female balance and
- Tree Agate: Introspection. Helps one view
themselves with more clarity and see the world through a broader viewpoint.
- Unikite: Balances physical/emotions.
- Unknown: Discover the properties of unknown stones for yourself. Find out what is
true for you.
Keep your stone with you as much as possible for a week. Place it next to your bedside when you sleep at night;
wear it or put it on your desk during the day.
Pay attention to your moods, your interactions with others, and your dreams.
Do you have any insights? Try asking the question, "What does this stone do?" before going to sleep. It may help
your unconscious/higher self/your inner guide tell you what the stone does for you.
The body needs all 7 color rays: red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, and violet. Each color ray is
associated with one or more (depending on which reference you use) of the chakras.
By using the color ray that supports a particular chakra, you can speed healing of the associated areas and
Also see our Crystal Healing References page
Interested in diamonds? Here's some stuff on diamond quality and how to buy a diamond